Tuesday 19 March 2013

One BIG Pot of Lentils


I probably make a variation of this at least once a fortnight. It feeds us over several nights and one pot can turn into several different meal types.


This pot for example was served with spaghetti on the first night and then was turned into lasange for the second and third night.



You can change the seasoning up a bit and serve it on tortillas, flat bread, tacos, potatoes. The possibilities are endless.


This isn't a recipe as such, but a meal suggestion. Play with it and create your own winning combo.

Ingredients:

2 cups of red lentils (rinsed)
vegetables of your choice- In this post I used 1 red capsicum, 2 carrot, 2 stalks of celery, broccoli, 1 zucchini
salt
pepper
tinned tomatoes
basil
oregano
parsley

Add 2 cups of lentils to a large pot and cover with water, bring to boil and reduce heat to a simmer.

Puree (or thinly slice if you can't puree them) vegetables

Add vegetables, tinned tomatoes (or fresh if you have them available), herbs and seasoning and cook on a low heat for several hours.

This dish is great for meat eaters too. I never tell the kids that they are eating lentils and they are none the wisher. B didn't notice in the beginning either. 

You could use taco seasoning instead of the basil/oregano/parsley combo. The possibilities are endless.

I'm linking up with Veggie Mama for Meatless Monday

4 comments:

  1. I could dive right into that Amy! Yum!

    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love lentils...so versatile and so easy. I have dry and canned lentils in my pantry all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea! I think it would be great spooned over a baked potato :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do the same - make a batch of lentil soup/stew and then use it to make other things. It makes a great "fake bolognese" and I've tricked many a friend into thinking it's got meat in it!

    ReplyDelete