Monday 18 March 2013

Linseed, Oats, Honey and Chia Loaf

This loaf all came about because I went shopping on Monday morning and the shelves were completely empty of any kind of fresh items in our one and only supermarket. It was then and there that I decided that I really needed to start making my own bread again (and get a crack on adding more things to our vegetable garden).

I really want to try my hand at making sourdough, but that takes time to build up the starter etc so I was flipping through my Everyday Recipe book that came with my Thermomix and came across a Five Seed Bread recipe.

Now, I don't have five different seeds in my pantry, but I did have Oats, Linseed Meal and Chia Seeds. So I adjusted the recipe to suit what I had.

You don't need a Thermomix to make this bread. You could use a bread maker or just your two hands.

Ingredients


500g Unbleached plain flour
120g Oats
2 tsp dry Yeast
1 tsp Salt
60g Linseed Meal
50g Chia Seeds
30g Honey
30g Oil
500g of lukewarm Water



Mix all ingredients by whatever means you are using.

In my Thermomix I used the interval speed for 2 1/2 minutes. If doing my hand, I would give it a good knead for at least 5 minutes or until I was happy with the dough.

This is a sticky mixture so don't stress if you are worried about the consistency of the dough.



Grease a 20cm square baking tin and pour the mixture into it to rise. We have ducted air conditioning in our house so I have to heat my oven to about 50-60 degrees for about 15 minutes then turn it off to create a suitable environment for the bread to rise. As soon as I turn the oven off I pop the tray of bread dough in the heated oven (make sure it is turned off though, we don't want to start cooking this loaf yet!) and let the dough rise to fill the pan. It will take about 25-30 minutes.

Once it has risen turn your oven onto 200 degrees Celsius and bake your bread for about 40-45 minutes.

Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool. This is important because if you leave it in the baking pan the bottom will sweat.

DO NOT CUT THE LOAF WHILE IT IS STILL HOT. It is still cooking on the inside and if you cut it too soon it will collapse.


Once it is sufficiently cooled, slice and enjoy.

If you try your hand at baking this bread, please let me know how you went and what you thought.

1 comment: