Wednesday 20 March 2013

braided rag rug fail

Earlier this week I decided it would be a great idea to use the strips of vintage sheets I had in my stash to make a rag rug.


It started out great, I ripped them all into 1 1/2 inch strips and then plaited them all together.


Then set about sewing them together using the zig zag stitch on my machine.

That's were things started to come undone. I've scratched it up to a learning experience and will try my hand at crocheting a rag rug next.

Have you made a braided rug before? Did it turn out like you planned? What about a crocheted rug?


5 comments:

  1. How big is it? It looks like it would make a nice cushion.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's about 45-50cm across. Which is only a bit smaller than I wanted. The reason I am classing it as a fail is because it isn't flat and has some gaps in places.

      But thanks for the idea, I could probably turn it into a floor cushion easily.

      x

      Delete
  2. What's it supposed to look like? I like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara, it is supposed to look close to what it does, just without the gaps :P

      X

      Delete
  3. Wow this is awesome. I like it. I like things like this - even if they have gaps. It's all part of that homemade feel. Braided rugs remind me of little house on the prairie! I think some smaller versions would make great mats for tables - to put lamps on, for example. Anyway, good job. Not a fail in my book!

    ReplyDelete