Thursday 12 September 2013

A Wiksten Tank

So I decided a little while ago that I would have a go at making some of my summer wardrobe. This may not seem much for some, but for me that has only ever made kids clothes and attempted to sew myself some things only a few times with varying results, it made me a little nervous.

I have a few things on my list of things to make and on the top of the list was a tank. The tank I picked was the Wiksten Tank and well I am glad I did, because it was pretty easy to put together.

I did receive some pointers from Toni-Maree of Sew Jereli and I swear I took her advice, but well it seems I didn't grading the neckline seam enough...



I made it in an XL and well I am going to give a large a try. There is some gaping in the back and a lot of room all round... 



I did ask the kids if they could snap a picture of me and well this was the best I got...


The fabric is a gorgeous Amy Butler voile from the Soul Blossoms range called Peacock Feathers.
And I have enough to make a dress too. Not sure if I will make a Wiksten Tank Dress with an elastic waist or make a Staple Dress... decisions, decisions. 


4 comments:

  1. Hmm, intriguing. Your neckline looks different from mine - I had the bias binding sitting over the raw edge, like quilt binding! But your's is "inside". Is that how it's supposed to be done?! Ugh, I'm hopeless at garment sewing, sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, mine is on the inside. Binding on clothing is a little different than binding on quilts. I have done it the quilt way before too 

      Did you check out the tutorial that Toni linked to the other day for the grainline tank? It explains it pretty good over there: http://grainlinestudio.com/2012/02/15/sewing-tutorial-getting-flat-bias-necklines/

      Amy x

      Delete
    2. I really want to sew more for me too. It is just everything else seems to take more priority - things for the kids, the business, that charity auction, the kids, the business, that gift, the kids!! Yep you get the idea.

      I'm looking for something with flutter sleeves and suitable for a busty girl. I'm not big but I'm blessed (!) with cleavage!!

      Delete
  2. Whoops after all that rambling, I forgot to say yours looks GREAT!! The fabric is gorgeous. Well done!

    ReplyDelete