Monday 25 March 2013

The Great Sourdough Experiment of 2013

If you follow me on Instagram would would have been privy to daily snaps of my sourdough starter, sorry about that.

But I'm excited by it!

For the sourdough starter I did the following:
Day 1: 1/4 cup of water and 1/4 cup of flour into a clean jar. I did not secure a lid to it at all.
Day 2: Add 1/4 cup of water and 1/4 cup of flour to the previous days mixture
Day 3: Add 1/4 cup of water and 1/4 cup of flour to the previous days mixture
Day 4: Add 1/4 cup of water and 1/4 cup of flour to the previous days mixture
Day 5: Add 1/4 cup of water and 1/4 cup of flour to the previous days mixture
Day 6: Add 1/4 cup of water and 1/4 cup of flour to the previous days mixture
Day 7: Discard all but 1/4 cup of mixture and feed 2/3 cup of flour and 2/3 cup of water to starter and stir well.

So yesterday was day 7. I discarded the mixture and fed it in the morning and then last night I made the dough.


And I woke this morning to find that it did actually rise!


I was planning on baking it in a cast iron pot, but B has been complaining about the bread not being the 'right' shape...

So this is how it looked when I put it in the bread tin before it's second rising time.


 And this is how it looked fresh out of the oven.



And it tastes amazing, if I do say so myself!

I used this recipe from The Stone Soup. After I made my dough, I fed the starter again with 2/3 cup of flour and 2/3 cup of water to beef it up for my next loaf. From now on I will just be feeding it with 1/4 cup of both water and flour daily. We are going away soon too, so when we do I will just be refrigerating it so that it doesn't die while I'm not feeding it.

Along with The Stone Soup, I used this post from Inner Pickle when I was starting out with my starter.

And here is a pic of my starter today-


Are you a fan of Sourdough? Does the thought of making it yourself scare you?

It did scare me up until this morning, now that I've actually done it, I can't wait to do it all again. 

1 comment:

  1. Yum! That sounds yummy!! I love a good sourdough. Not toooo strong, but it certainly makes a good accompaniement to spag bol ;)

    ReplyDelete