Tuesday 19 February 2013

Day 5: Spinach, Carrot, Banana and Blueberry Smoothie

Fresh food and vegetables are hard to source here. You have to time your shopping right to be able to ensure you get more than one day to eat your bananas or that your lettuce won't wilt the minute you get it home. Because we are so far away from everything, well it means that everything takes ages to get here in the first place. Our bread gets flown in to the airport that is an hour away, they don't bother trucking that as it would be mouldy by the time it arrives.

Also source 'non conventional' products is hard. I've already told you about not being able to source Kale locally, but I haven't been able to source many of the products I add to my smoothies to up the nutirtional content. So far I have just been using Flaxseed and Chia seeds as that is the only thing I can get my hands on. I have been busy comparing prices and products online for the past month and am saving to do a bulk shop online as postage is just so expensive to remote WA.

Oh and did I mention that a small jar of Coconut oil is $12. Yes, $12! That is insane. I thought it was expensive back in QLD when I used to pay about $6-$7 for it.



 Spinach, Carrot, Banana and Blueberry Smoothie

Ingredients:

1 carrot
1 Banana
1 cup Spinach
1 cup frozen blueberries
1/2 cup oats
1tsp flaxseed/linseed meal
1tsp chia seeds
1 cup milk of your choice




 Blitz in blender (I used my Thermomix)





And enjoy! This serves approx two people.





1 comment:

  1. Yum! That looks really nice. So healthy too!

    ReplyDelete