Wednesday 29 August 2012

Mrs Readalot's Book club- Of Mice and Men



So I mentioned the other day that I managed to read a fair bit over the last week or so, another book or rather novella that I consumed was Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck. Now this book was SAD, it follows the life of two men, George and Lennie, during the great depression of the 1930s in California as they travel from ranch to ranch in search of the much needed money they require to start a little place of their own. 
 'Guys like us, that work on ranches, are the loneliest guys in the world. They got no family. They don't belong no place'. George and his large, simple-minded friend Lennie are drifters, following wherever work leads them. Arriving in California's Salinas Valley, they get work on a ranch. If they can just stay out of trouble, George promises Lennie, then one day they might be able to get some land of their own and settle down some place. But kind-hearted, childlike Lennie is a victim of his own strength. Seen by others as a threat, he finds it impossible to control his emotions. And one day not even George will be able to save him from trouble. "Of Mice and Men" is a tragic and moving story of friendship, loneliness and the dispossessed.
And tragic it is! Themes of mental illness, racism and of course tragedy are covered in the book oh so well. This book left me so sad, but it made me think over the whole thing and tie sections together.

It will certainly stay with you long after you read it and have you thinking about it over and over again. Just like any great novel should.

Have you read it?





I am linking up with dear future me for Mrs Readalot's Book Club.

3 comments:

  1. Yes read it when I done Year 10 as a mature age student I loved it, was so pleased that our teacher had us read it. Have you seen the movie? It's on dvd it's also great.

    (((( Hugs )))) XXXX Kisses XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read it in highschool.. was an amazing book to read.. its so sad :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read it yet, but I picked up a copy last time I was on holidays. I just need to finish Captain Corelli's Mandolin, then M&M is next on the list.

    ReplyDelete