Thursday 12 July 2012

{Recipe} Vol-Au-Vents

Yesterday was our wedding anniversary, we opted to stay in and have dinner with the kids instead of having to get a babysitter and going out.

One of the things I made were Vol-au-vents. Yes they are so very late 80's/ early 90's, but I still love them, I remember my Mum making them for us all the time. Anyhow, last night I tried out two different filing types. A Prawn and Crab and a Mushroom.

I had never tried a mushroom filing before, but I think I will be doing it again, and soon!




Mushroom Filling:

5  button mushrooms
1-2 teaspoons of Dijon Mustard
Salt
Pepper
1 tbs olive oil
Bechamel Sauce

Heat oil in pan, add sliced mushrooms. Once mushrooms are cooked stir through Dijon mustard and bechamel sauce, salt a pepper.

Spoon into Vol-au-vent cases.

(The above filling fills about 8-10 medium vol-au-vent cases)


 Prawn and Crab filling:

300-400grams of crab meat
1 tin of cocktail prawns (175g)
salt
pepper
parsley
olive oil
bechamel sauce

Heat oil on a low/med heat. Pour in crab meat and prawns and mix through. Add bechamel sauce, season with salt and pepper and add a small amount of chopped parsley as desired.

Spoon into vol-au-vent cases

(The above filling fills about 8-10 medium vol-au-vent cases)

 
Bechamel Sauce (1 serve):
15grams butter
15 grams flour
1 cup milk

(adjust above qty's as required)

Melt butter and add flour stirring continuously then gradually add milk whilst continuing to stir over a low heat.


I am linking up over here


4 comments:

  1. I have to say I love a good volauvant and haven't made them in ages! Thanks for the inspiration! Visiting from mummy's undeserved blessings link up! Cheers, Mez

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always see them at Coles but never pick them up. I mean, they are a blank canvas, so many ideas & easy to make. Be a good one for Christmas, especially the prawn one! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I koooove volauvants and remember when they were available on the menu of practically every cafe around! I tried them recently but unfortunately I was the only one who enjoyed them. :(. Great simple dinner party finger food though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so daggy but so yummy! The crab and prawn filling sounds delicious. My kids are into pastry at the moment. They will love them. Thanks for linking up :)

    ReplyDelete