Friday 13 July 2012

Bathroom Update: Bath Mat Tutorial




Edited: All the images were hosted off site and have now disappeared I am slowly fixing this error. Sorry for the inconvenience. 

Remember back here when I showed you my plainer than plan bathroom. It was screaming out for some colour and since I am on a limited budget, I did what any crafty diy-er would do. And set about sewing, printing and framing things.



I also wanted two colourful bath mats for the room. You might be wondering why I needed two, but I am sick of a soaking wet floor from Caden hoping in the shower but forgetting to get the mat from the bathtub first. So I grabbed a cheap bath towel from the shops and decided to use a Dream On Charm pack because I just love that fabric line and it goes with the lovely green towels I bought for the bathroom.

For one of the mats I patched together the top with a mix of the charm pack and towelling (left over from cutting the two mats out of the towel).
1x bath towel, 1x hand towel, 1x bath mat to take measurements from
towels cut to size




charm squares all placed out ready for sewing





Press the seam to one side.

stripes of towelling



Top all pieced together
This step is optional, but I zigzag stitched the edges of the towelling to minimise piling.
Lay out towelling how you would like and them pin to top.  Don't be afraid to use a lot of pins!
Zig zag stitch towelling to the patchwork squares
Pin right sides together and sew around the edges leaving a gap for turning

Don't forget to clip the corners
Now it is time to top stitch

To enhance it's durability I quilted along two of the towelling strips.
Ta da! All finished!


For the other mat, I decided to try something a little different and decided to sew some towelling feet on top of the patchwork charm squares, it is my kids bathroom after all so I wanted to keep it a little playful. But I will leave that for another post as I have already overloaded you with photos!

Stay tuned for more bathroom updates, I still have a few more things I want to do. Hopefully it wont be raining next week and I will be able to get you some decent photos of the whole room.



Join the 14 million people who have already joined the Clean Hands campaign by using Kleenex Hand Towels, and click here for savings and more!            

 I was selected for participation in this campaign as a member of Clever Girls Collective.

11 comments:

  1. I'm so impressed! It looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! And it just so happens, a lovely lady I know recently gave me a pack of charm squares ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! I'm new to your blog and just love it! I'll come back for a visit soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Moda Fabrics are quite expensive..... Would rather combine those cheaper towels and do something - if creativity was the motive. But, it looks neat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anonymous, you would have noticed that my motive for using the dream on fabric is because it is my favourite fabric line. And I actually picked those charm squares up cheaply. Not sure what the motive of your comment was.

      What exactly would you have done, you know, if creativity was your motive?

      Delete
  5. ohhhh, what happened to the pics? REALLY really want to see this....MamaPat

    ReplyDelete
  6. A fantastic idea! A great house warming gift for my oldest daughter! Thanks Amy!

    Mae (San Antonio House Cleaning)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is simply gorgeous. Might even be simple enough for me to squeeze in between work projects! Love your tutorial too - great stuff!

    ReplyDelete