Thursday 26 April 2012

Chorizo Carbonara

I have been feeling all uninspired in the kitchen of late. My love of cooking has disappeared and our dinners have become a boring meat and three (or four) vege with the occasional stir fry thrown in to mix it up a little.

I decided to order some new cook books try and inspire me a little. Well of course I decided to get some of Hugh's and I can't say that I am disappointed.


The River Cottage Everyday book arrived on my doorstep yesterday morning and I flicked through it during afternoon nap time to figure out what I could make for dinner. I had all the ingredients for the Chorizo Carbonara and it was a simple enough dinner for me to cook while I am still feeling sorry for myself in this sick state that I am in at the moment. (Yes I know, I am ALWAYS sick!)



Anyway, the recipe just required the following:

150g of spaghetti
1 tablespoon of rapeseed or olive oil
175g chorizo- chopped
2 large egg yolks
100ml double cream
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper (I omitted these as the find the spices in the Chorizo strong enough)

The above ingredients is to serve 2 people so I doubled the recipe to feed our family of 5. 



Simply add the pasta to a pot of salted boiling water (I did mine in my thermomix). Meanwhile heat oil in frying pan and add the chorizo. Fry it for about 10 minutes until crisp and cooked through.
Beat egg yolks and cream together, season lightly if desired.

When pasta is done, drain thoroughly and return it back to the hot pan. Tip in the chorizo and the egg mixture and mix well to coat it all in the egg mixture. The egg mixture will cook with the heat of the pasta and chorizo.

Serve straight away.

It was a hit with everyone here and will be made again, but maybe not until late next month as it is not the healthiest dinner choice about.

I am linking up here.

10 comments:

  1. Amy that looks delicious and it combines two of my favorite things, pasta and chorizo. Thanks so much for supporting the link up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmmmm, I'm sure that is very delicious. I love pasta and the ingredients for this recipe can always be found in my kitchen. I'll try it for sure. Thanks for sharing, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Anything with chorizo = my kind of meal!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep chorizo. Best thing ever. I might make this for lunch for myself. Master O is on an egg free diet so no carbonara for him, but yummy for Mummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks good. I use chorizo quite often (I'm a chef) so I can appreciate the simplicity and delightful taste of this meal. Kepp the recipes coming :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband has an adiction to chirizo so we have it whenever he is home. We use almost the same recipe as this but with a few tweaks to make it a little lighter. Yum yum, chirizo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yum! I will have to give this one a go. It looks simple and delicious. My sort of meal :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! Wish I had the ingredients on hand!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know this would be a hit in my home, I must put Chorizo on my ingredients list!

    ReplyDelete