Monday 15 October 2012

Moving On.



Have you ever lived in a small town? Did you grow up in one place and still live there until your mid to late twenties? Will I did. I still live here, and I have been wanting to move on for, well years. If you meet someone here 9 times out of 10, they will know something about you or one of your family members. But the thing is, what they know and what is true are often two completely different things.

That is how I feel living here, only a handful of people actually know me, others think they do by what others have told them. So that is why I am looking at our big move as one great big adventure. As a way to show the kids other parts of Australia and hopefully the world.

There are people that are not keen on us moving. I hope that they can become more supportive of us as time goes on. I hope that they realise that this isn't a decision we have made lightly, but one where we have looked at both the positives and the negatives. We are doing this to put ourselves in a better financial position in the future.

Yes, you might know someone who made a move like this and our now worse of financially. But they are not us. You don't know if they had the same goals as us.

We are not doing it to get away from anyone. But are doing it for the experience. Both in regards to B's career and our personal experiences. I hope they begin to see it like we do.

Yes the place we are moving to is small and isolated, but if you have never been there you really have no grounds for comment.

How to you handle other peoples criticisms of your decisions?


5 comments:

  1. Good luck with your move Amy x I'm in a similar position right now. We moved back to my home town about 6 years ago and the first few years were ok, but the last few, it feels so isolated, we have few friends and old friends are all clicky clicky with new people and they just don't let you in. People seem to think they 'know' you, but they don't. I'm very keen to make a move, I'd be happy to go anywhere to be honest, just not here. I think I need to make a list of pros and cons of moving and hit hubby with some fresh ideas.

    Thankyou for your honest post. Life is what you make of it - not what others think you make of it, I hope you find what your looking for x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna, good luck with your decisions.

      x

      Delete
  2. Wishing you lots and lots of fabulous good luck Amy! We made the "big move" away from my hometown, but I can tell you that it was worth every single bit of hard work and sacrifice to get us here.

    We are home now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is fantastic Natalie, glad your move worked out well for you.

      x

      Delete
  3. Our family did this hen my hubby joined the Defence Force and we moved away from my small hometown for the first time. It has been an amazing experience, although the hardest part was having babies far, far away from family (ie NO support network) but we have now lived in three major Australian cities and have seen soooo much more of our beautiful country and have met so many more wonderful people than we ever would have if we had not moved. Good luck to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete