Wednesday 30 May 2012

The vegan update

So I mentioned back here that I would be eating a mostly vegan diet for 30 days. We are about 2 weeks in and have been going well.

We aren't completely vegan. There is still cows milk and butter in the house, but on a whole we are eating more whole foods and WAY less processed crap. Not that we were eating much processed foods to begin with, but by incorporating more whole foods we seem to be 'crowding out' the bad.

I love the term 'crowding out'. Instead of depriving yourself of something you are just pushing it aside as you don't have time for it because of all the wholesome foods you are eating. It is exactly how I feel at the moment.

I can't really share the recipes of the foods I am eating at the moment due to the 30 Day Vegan Guidelines. But the food has been great. Some examples of our dinners are:

Avocado and White Bean Wraps
Pad Thai
Broccoli and Peanut Noddles
Lemon, Garlic and White Bean Noodles
Rainbow Salad
Baked Tofu and Watermelon Salsa

They kids have eaten pretty much everything, although the only thing newish to them is Tofu. We already eat a range of lentils, beans and other pulses at least once a week.

We haven't eaten meat in over two weeks, and I can honestly say I don't miss it. B has agreed with me on that too. Every night after dinner I check with him to see if he would happy to see it on the menu again and the answer has always been yes.

I think that once the 30 days are over there will be a huge change in our eating. I do plan to introduce back in fish/seafood, chicken and lean red meat, but only once a week for each (or less). The other meals will all be either vegan or vegetarian.

I can't see us erasing eggs, cows milk, cheese etc from our diets over the long term, but decreasing their presence in our diet is a certainty.

I already feel better for the whole experience, my skin is clearer (well as clear as my PCOS cursed skin can be) my digestion is better and I just feel better. The only down side has been just how 'gassy' everyone has been, but as our bodies adjust to this way of eating this will ease. In the meantime I guess I just have to live with the fart jokes...


4 comments:

  1. So nice to read this and get an insight - i also love the idea of crowding out...thanks for sharing what you could of the course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We eat mostly vegetarian meals! Once a week we have fish, and sometimes chicken but we dont eat red meat. I dont miss it at all - and i am discovering new recipes all of the time.
    Wonder how you inner body will handle meat once you have completed the 30 days. One of our boys becomes constipated when he has chicken.
    I love making a "Chicken Noodle Soup" without chicken! We have about 10 different veggie in the slow cooker and then we add in Chinese Noodles just before I serve up dinner. Our boys love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you tried any of the 'faux meats'???? Fry's has must released some new ones in Australia that I am totally obsessed with (being vegan myself). One is the vegan equivalent of popcorn chicken and the other is a mushroom pie (I just had that for dinner and yum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Have you thought about perhaps changing to a dairy free margarine instead of butter???? And soy in place of cow's milk???? And as for cheese you can buy some really delicious soy cheeses from most health food shops. My favourite is the Cheezly nacho style (really really yummy).

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's sort of our long term plan as well. Except we already use coconut milk in place of cow's milk, and everyone here's a big fan of that.

    ReplyDelete