Wednesday 13 July 2011

I'm Hungry, Mum!

If your kids are anything like mine you will no doubt hear this several times a day. For the last week, this line has been used by my kids more than I care to remember. It is usually followed by there is nothing to eat, when in actual fact both the fridge and the pantry are full to the brim.

So on Monday I took the bull by the horns and baked with them for a few hours. In that time we made Anna's Choc Chip Slice (but substituted the choc chips for smarties as that is what I had on hand), Pear and Butter Cake and Vegemite scrolls.

My made up recipe for the Pear and Butter Cake is:

250g Butter
1cup caster sugar
2 tsp vanilla essence
3 eggs
2 1/2 cups self raising flour
2/3 cup milk
2 pears- sliced

Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees (If you remember, I always forget...) Grease and line a square cake tin (mine is about 8cm deep and 19cm wide... ) Using an electric mixer cream butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffyish (I know it's not a word). Add eggs one at a time and beat until combined. Add milk and flour gradually and stir to combine.
Add part of the batter to you tin then add pear to top of mixture, cover with remaining batter and again top with pears, sprinkle some sugar and bake for approx 1 hour or until skewer comes out clean.

I am on the hunt for more quick and easy snacks that I can fill the fridge and freezer with. Next on my list are:

Mini Quiches
Mini Pizzas
Zucchini Slice
Brownies
Cinnamon Scrolls


Do you have any other suggestions for me???

They have also decided fruit is yuck! I have no idea where this has come from as a few weeks ago we were going through over 2kgs of apples and 1.5kgs of pears a week on top of half a watermelon, mandarins etc.

4 comments:

  1. Kids are always hungry!!
    They all sound yum! i am going to make the pear butter cake.. mmm!
    You should try my sausage rolls, they are great to freeze ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks yummy. I might have to give it a go.
    My 3 year old is ALWAYS hungry. except at dinner time. he loves baking with me too but he doesn't like what we bake. strange.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been hearing this ALL day today. Think I need to do the same! I might try this one out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. basic biscuits, you know the ones that use a tin of condensed milk and make a hundred or so biscuits (or about 60 if you make them large like i do lol)
    Quick, easy and you can freeze the biscuit mix so you have some ready to chop and bake. Very versatile too, add anything you like to them, we do choc chips, peppermint essence, finely diced glace cherries, jam drops, sprinkles the possibilities are endless!

    ReplyDelete