Monday 4 July 2011

Frugal Feasts- Pasta Carbonara

We are trying to keep our grocery budget down at the moment (well always) and have been religiously working off a fortnightly menu plan and Pasta Carbonara has been getting a look in pretty much every week, not only is it easy to whip up, the kids all eat it with gusto AND it's cheap.

Ingredients:

Be warned I hardly measure when I am cooking a savoury dish... adjust the measurements to suit your family.

1-2 tsp Garlic- I use minced garlic from a jar
1 Onion
3-4 rashers of bacon
1 Cup chopped Mushrooms
300ml of thickened creamream
Parmesan Cheese
1 Egg
Spaghetti or Fettuccine Pasta

Cut up onions, bacon and mushroom and fry in a frying pan. Whilst they are cooking combine cream and an egg in a bowl. Season the cream to your liking. Once the onions, bacon and mushrooms are cooked add cream and let simmer... Don't let the cream boil. While all this is going on bring a saucepan of salted water to boil and cook spaghetti. Once spaghetti is cooked drain and add to the fry pan with your sauce and top with Parmesan Cheese. Mix well and serve.

See isn't that super quick and easy! You can omit the egg if you like. I just like how it thickens the cream and gives it a bit more texture.

Do you have a frugal meal you can share with us???

Note: photo to come. B ate went back for seconds before I could get a photo

5 comments:

  1. Thank you I needed a dinner idea tonight - easy I have most of this but only half the cream.

    I have to leave out mushrooms (I am only liker) but I'll add steamed carrots & peas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great Trish! Let me know hoe it goes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Sounds quick and delicious =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy. Bisketti (Spag. Bog.) gets a look in regularly at our place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUMMM! I think we'd be hopeless in living off a menu planner here. Hubby has spontaneous cravings for specific meals and reminding him I'm trying to budget just makes him shrug his shoulders. I mean I'm grateful that he's not a control freak with our money, but it makes for hopeless saving!

    ReplyDelete