Sunday 26 August 2012

Mrs Readalots Book Club: To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee


As a child I always thought the title of this book was Tequila Mockingbird... don't ask me why, I have no idea! But anyway, I have been slowly working through a list of books I have always wanted to read and To Kill A Mockingbird is one of those books.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this too. It is a wonderful story and one that I think almost anyone would enjoy.

If you are one of the handful of people that have no idea what To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee is about then here is a rundown:
"Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird." A lawyer's advice to his children as he defends the real mockingbird of Harper Lee's classic novel--a black man charged with the rape of a white girl.
Through the young eyes of Scout and Jem Finch, Harper Lee explores with rich humour and unswerving honesty the irrationality of adult attitudes toward race and class in the Deep South of the 1930s. The conscience of a town steeped in prejudice, violence, and hypocrisy is pricked by the stamina and quiet heroism of one man's struggle for justice--but the weight of history will only tolerate so much. One of the best-loved classics of all time,
"To Kill a Mockingbird" has earned many distinctions since its original publication in 1960. It has won the Pulitzer Prize, been translated into more than forty languages, sold more than forty million copies worldwide, and been made into an enormously popular movie. It was also named the best novel of the twentieth century by librarians across the country ("Library Journal").


Honestly, this is a book that I could read many times and probably come away with a different feeling each time, it is happy, it is sad, it is inspiring. If you haven't read it, do you shelf a favour and track a copy down.



I am linking up with dear future me for Mrs Readalot's Book Club.

8 comments:

  1. I love this book too! It's so beautifully written and such a tough story made more palatable by being told through the eyes of a child. I know quite a few kids lately who have been called "Scout" in honour of the book.
    So nice to see you linking up.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to be linking up! I have been meaning to link up for the last two months, but my book reading time has been limited, when my head hits the pillow at night it has been lights out straight away!

      I was thinking about the name Harper solely because of this book.

      Amy x

      Delete
  2. I Love love love this book!!! It's a while since I read it, but an amazing book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, isn’t it?! I think this will be a book I will read once a year. I am trying to convince my husband to read it. I might have more luck with the movie 

      Amy x

      Delete
  3. I read this in year 10 at high school Amy. I loved it then and have read it many times. I've seen the movie with Gregory Peck about 1,000 times too. Have you seen it? You'll love it if you loved the book. Its very much the same. One of my all time favourites.

    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen the movie, but I really want to. I might have to track it down. Maybe on iTunes?

      Thanks for stopping by Anne x

      Delete
  4. Hi Amy, Thanks for linking up! This book is such a classic, but one that I've never actually read... yet. Must get onto that! Also, super cute blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I could link up! I knocked out about six books last week so I might be able to link up again before the months over!

      Thanks for stopping by x

      Delete