Saturday 21 May 2011

Tutorial: Knotted Fabric Necklaces

Today, seeing as a few of you asked, I thought I was share with you a quick tutorial on how I make my knotted fabric necklaces. They are so quick and easy and add a burst of colour to any outfit.

You will need:

  • Fabric of your choice (the amount will differ depending on how long a necklace you want)
  • Ribbon (again this will differ. I used 85cm of Ribbon)
  • Wooden Beads or Styrofoam balls
  • Tape Measure
  • Scissors
  • Safety Pin for turning the fabric tube right side out.
  • Co-ordinating thread
  • Sewing Machine (But if you are keen you could hand stitch)
  • Iron
  • Co-ordinating Thread
The amount of fabric will depend on the length you want for your finished necklace. For example for this necklace the length of my fabric is 110cm and the finished knotted fabric section of this necklace is 45cm. You could do longer or shorter depending on the length of your desired necklace and the size of your beads. The easiest way I have found to figure out your required length is to drape a tape measure around your neck whilst looking in the mirror, get your measurements and then double the amount and plus approx 15cm.
Materials

 
1. My Styrofoam balls are 2.5cm balls. Now you can get all mathematical and calculate the width of the fabric by using everything you learnt about Pi in high school or you could just do what I did and wrapped my tape measure around the ball and allow for the seam allowance.

 2. Cut your fabric once you have discovered your circumference of your ball/bead.

  The width of my fabric is 10cm. It's lenght is 110cm
 3. Fold your Fabric in half length ways, right sides together and press.


 4. Head on over to your sewing machine and start sewing the long side down. I just used my foot at the guide and lined the seam allowance up with the edge of my fabric.
Ta da- one long tube of fabric
 5. Now you need to turn your tube around the right way. The easiest way I have found to do this is to grab a safety pin and insert it as shown in the photo's below.


6. Fold it in and starting feeding through




 8. Tada, it is now the right way round! You can press it now if you would like but it doesn't really matter as you are going to be knotting it in a minute anyway.

 9. Put a knot near the bottom end of your fabric tube. You need to leave a tail long enough to sew on your ribbon.


 10. Start stuffing those balls down the tube.

 11. Tie a knot after each ball.


 11. Keep going until you are happy with how your necklace looks. I ended up using 9 beads for this necklace.
 12. Fold the ends of your tube to the inside. (you can press them with and iron now if it takes your fancy) Repeat for other end.
 13. Insert ribbon inside tube and pin. Repeat for other end
 14. Stitch down with your machine (or by hand) Again repeat for other end.


15. Fold the end of tube in three to give it a nicer finish and either machine stitch it down or stitch by hand.
 16. I needed to seal of the ends of my ribbon so they wouldn't fray. The easiest way is to do that is with a lighter.
Ta da your necklace is finished!

If any instructions are unclear or you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. This is my first tutorial and I am far from being an expert.

If you wanted you could use more fabric and less ribbon by making your first knot further down and leaving a longer tail piece, it really is up to you.

If you do happen to make any of these necklaces please do pop back and show me your finished creation.

Amy xx


Edit: I have posted a small update to this tutorial here. It shows you an alternative to using ribbon.



Online Sewing Class

18 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tute, my girly girls would love these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this. You make it look very easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great fabric & you explained the project very well! I bought a necklace like this & always wondered how it was made!

    -caroline @ c.w.frosting

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous tute, I have been wanting to make these for ages!
    Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, this is totally crash worthy! I'm thinking Christmas pressies . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a COOL idea!!! Popping in from Rewind - thanks for the tips :) I am definitely going to be doing this over the holidays!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is very clever (and simple?). I think I could follow your instructions - they make sense- I am just not much of a sewer. It would make a great gift though huh? Thanks for Rewinding x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool looking necklace and I adore the fabric. Can I buy them anywhere? Or else I fear I will sew my fingers together! he he he

    ReplyDelete
  9. Saved like a favourite, I truly like your weblog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an awesome project, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I did it! I made CrashGirl a necklace for Christmas last night. Great tutorial, easy to follow step. Thanks Amy! Here's my pics http://www.crashtestmummy.com.au/2011/12/20/before-and-after-knotted-fabric-necklace/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely necklace, and great tutorial. I'd love to try one and make a matching bracelet or other accessories...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just found your blog and love it. I am your newest follower. Please consider posting this project or others to the Success U - Wednesday Linkup Party at www.thestuffofsuccess.com. This is such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks like something I can actually sew! Thanks for the tutorial.

    I would love for you to link up and share- http://tutusandteaparties.blogspot.com/2012/02/pinteresting-party-week-28.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! Thanks so much for stopping by. Off to checkout your link now :)

      Delete
  15. What an easy to follow tutorial! Great job. I love that you used styrofoam instead of beads. Great idea!

    Tamika @ www.notimefortea.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks so much for sharing on Busy day! I hope you will link more of your great ideas! dressmaking fabric

    ReplyDelete